• Users Online: 343
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Contacts Login 
REVIEW ARTICLE

The human papillomavirus in colorectal cancer


1 Department of Medicine, School of Medical and Life Sciences, Graduate Program in Environmental Sciences and Health, Pontifical Catholic University of Goiás, Goiânia, Goiás, Brazil
2 Faculty of Nursing, Federal University of Goiás, Goiânia, Goiás, Brazil
3 Faculty of Biomedicine, Federal University of Goiás, Goiânia, Goiás, Brazil

Correspondence Address:
Antonio Márcio Teodoro Cordeiro Silva,
Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Goiás. Avenida Universitária, 1069, Setor Leste Universitário, Goiânia, Goiás
Brazil
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None

DOI: 10.4103/jmedsci.jmedsci_194_20

Objective: This meta-analysis aims to evaluate the possible association between human papillomavirus (HPV) and colorectal cancer development. Materials and Methods: The search strategy was a logic applied to specific descriptors linked to Boolean operators (AND/OR). The searches were made at the PubMed, Web of Science, and Scientific Electronic Library Online databases, between 2005 and 2017. Results: A total of 2937 patients were included in the study, where 1562 (53.2%) diagnosed with colorectal carcinoma and 1375 (46.8%) control samples from tissues without carcinoma. In patients with colorectal carcinoma, HPV was detected in 424 (27.1%) samples, but in the remaining 1138 (72.9%) patients, there was no detection of this virus. Among patients with healthy tissue, 129 (9.4%) samples were positive to HPV and 1246 (90.6%) samples were negative for the virus, with a significant statistical difference between the two groups (P < 0.0001). By combining all the results from the included studies, it was observed that HPV-positive patients presented with six times more chance to develop colorectal cancer when compared to those HPV-negative (odds ratio [OR] =6.398; confidence interval [CI] 95% =3.025–13.533; P < 0.0001). Asia was the continent with the smaller probability to develop colorectal cancer, with three times more chances of the patients with HPV to develop colon and rectum carcinomas, although no statistic relevance was found (OR = 3.270; CI 95% =0.899–11.890; P = 0.0721). Conclusion: This meta-analysis showed a correlation between the HPV and the enhanced probability to develop colorectal carcinoma, highlighting geographic variations that show as important to public health.


 

  Search Pubmed for
 
    -  Santos NC
    -  Bezerra Tocantins PD
    -  Bernardes Leão-Cordeiro JA
    -  Ataides FS
    -  Oliveira Rosa Marques LD
    -  Teodoro Cordeiro Silva AM
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed117    
    PDF Downloaded5    

Recommend this journal